Travel Guide > Travelling
Cyprus: City of Pafos - Part 6
North- East of Pafos
Lethymnou village is 16km northeast of Pafos, a cross-in-square domed church is dating to the 12th century named Agios Kirykos and Agia Ioulitti Church, with many later additions, especially from the 15th century. It has a few surviving fragments of frescoes dating to the 15th century.
Fyti village is 27km northeast of Pafos, the village has been known for its own special style of weaving since medieval times. The textiles made in the village are known as Fythkiotika and stand out for their variety of design and rich colours. Examples of such textiles are exhibited in the museum where one can also observe how they are made.
Pano Panagia village is 35km northeast of Pafos is the birthplace of late Archbishop Makarios III, first President of the Republic of Cyprus. His humble house has been converted into a museum.
Polemi village is 18km northeast of Pafos, Panagia Chryseleousa church is situated there, is a complex of two churches. The oldest of which is a domed cross-in-square type building possibly of the 12th century. In the 18th century, a barrel-vaulted church was added, which houses excellent surviving icons dating to the 16th century.
To the northwest of the village, there is an interesting group of buildings of traditional architecture known as the Metochi tou Kykkou. They are now used as a community cultural centre.
Chryssorrogiatissa Monastery is set in the beautiful surroundings 37km northeast of Pafos. Is dedicated to our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate, it was founded in 1152 by monk Ignatios who found a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary off the shore of Pafos. Legend has it that it was thrown into the sea in Asia minor during the iconoclastic period and drifted by the waves of Pafos.
The present building dates to 1770. An impressive religious ceremony is held here on the 15th Aug, on the occasion of Mother’s of god Dormition day. The monastery Icon Depository includes an important collection of icons, religious objects and artefacts. The monastery’s old winery produces some of the best vintage wines on the island.
Near PEntalia village 31km northeast of Pafos an abandoned monastery Panagia tou Sinti monastery, on the banks of Xeros river. The central nave of the monastery, dating to the 16th century is in good condition and is considered one of the most important buildings of the Venetian period. In 1997 it received the Europa Nostra award for restoration and conservation.
Continued on part 7
We aim to provide accurate and useful information, but if you feel anything provided here is not accurate or out of date, please email us with the address of the page concerned and any comments so we can amend as necessary.
Page added on: 17 August 2018
Viewed 17 times since 17 August 2018.