Cyprus: City of Pafos - Part 2

Travel Guide > Travelling

Cyprus: City of Pafos - Part 2

The city of Pafos was originally a Byzantine fort which was built to protect the harbour. The fort was completely rebuilt by the Lusignans in the 13th century, but it was subsequently dismantled by the Venetians. It was again rebuilt by the Ottomans in the 16th century when they conquered the island.

Kato Paphos

The inclusion of the Kato Paphos archaeological site in the UNESCO World Heritage sites list in 1980 was the starting point for the creation of a general plan whose aim would be primarily to protect and maintain the archaeological remains, as well as to promote them and provide comprehensive information to visitors. Kato Paphos archaeological park includes sites and monuments from prehistoric times to the Middle Ages, however a large proportion of the remains date to the Roman period. The spectacular mosaic floors of the four Roman villas form the impressive centrepiece of the finds. The complex also includes a number of other important monuments, such as Asklepieion, the Odeon, the Agora, the Saranta Kolones Fortress, the Limeniotissa ruins of early Christian Basilica and the Tombs of the Kings.

PAPHOS NORTH

The original Theoskepasti church, according to popular belief, was named this way because the name meant veiled by God. This was because they believed that God sent down a fog cloud to protect the original church during the Arab raids. The new church was built in 1923.

Agios Neofytos monastery, 9km north of the town, was founded around 1200 by Cypriot recluse and writer Neofytos. The enkleistra, a cave that the hermit carved out of the mountains, is covered with some of the finest examples of the Byzantine wall painting that date to the 12th and 15th centuries. The monastery has a noteworthy ecclesiastical museum. The monastery church contains some of the finest Post Byzantine icons dating to the 16th century.

Lempa village, 5km North of Pafos, has brought to life an important settlement of the Chalcolithic Age with its excavations. Near the site replicas of five houses from this period have been reconstructed using the same materials and the same building methods as used in Chalcolithic times 3900-2500BC. The Chalcolithic settlement site is a stop on the Aphrodite cultural route.

Chlorakas village is 3km north of Paphos, the Agios Georgios famous boat was used to import ammunition to be used in the Liberation struggle 1955-59. It is displayed in a specially created shelter by the coast of Chlorakas. Nearby lays the church of Agios Georgios.

We aim to provide accurate and useful information, but if you feel anything provided here is not accurate or out of date, please email us with the address of the page concerned and any comments so we can amend as necessary.

Page added on: 9 June 2018
Viewed 98 times since 9 June 2018.

The following photos have been submitted by our villa owners for this article.


Pafos 20

Pafos 19

Pafos 18

Pafos 17

Pafos 16

Pafos 15

Pafos 14

Pafos 13

Pafos 12

Pafos 11

Villa Owners: Upload A Photo To This Article

To upload a photo for consideration, click here. Please only submit photos relevant to this article.

Other Articles Viewed

The following articles were also viewed by people who looked at this one:

Bookmark This Article

Post this story to FacebookFacebook
Tweet this storyTwitter
Post this story to DeliciousDelicious
Post this story to DiggDigg
Post this story to StumbleUponStumbleUpon
Post this story to redditreddit

 

Contact us

Offices in Shropshire, UK and Kissimmee, USA.

Click here to email us

0800 612 6734

About us

We have over 10 years of experience in the car rental industry, with our parent company (Orlando Villas Ltd) being one of the largest car rental suppliers specializing in Florida and other US Car Hire via www.uscarhire.com.

We pride ourselves on our prices and customer service and aim to give the customer as much information as possible so they can find the right car rental for them.